We are here to serve.
- Researchers & Educators: We can supply materials for your research and classroom discussion. (Please see citation guideline below.)
- Participants: Consider contributing 60 - 90 minutes of your time for an oral history interview with us.
- Opportunities: Rice students are the primary force behind this project which is faculty-led, student-run. We welcome current Rice students to participate in a paid internship to learn more about the community.
- Community: Recommend your Asian American friend for an interview with us. Join our mailing list for event alerts and HAAA community updates.
- Preservation: Donate materials (family archives, photos, records, artworks, etc.) related to Asian American history in Houston. They will be kept in acid-free, climate-controlled storage at the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library at Rice University.
We would love to hear from you about what an archive means to you. Submit your responses to ContactHAAA@rice.edu.
For example, to cite Thomas Sung's interview:
Potential Oral History participants:
Please submit the following documents
1) a clear headshot photograph;
2) a completed consent form;
3) a cookbook recipe of your choice (e.g. from your grandmother) and its consent form;
4) a timeline/bio, and/or a resume.
To download a consent form, learn more about the oral history interview format, or for more information, follow this link.
For a pre-interview for us to help you navigate your life experiences before speaking on the record, feel free to reserve a time on the calendar via: https://calendly.com/annshi/30min. A Zoom dial-in will be shared with you upon your reservation.
We welcome you to apply for our internship if you're a current Rice University student.
Tasks involve the following but not limited to:
- Conduct, transcribe, review, and process interviews
- Event organization
Strong writing, editing, language, and interpersonal skills are highly preferred.
Please fill out the application form and provided the required documents (download here), and send them to our email as below.
- Editorial intern (filled).
- Curatorial intern (filled).
- Communications intern.
- Graphic design intern.
6100 Main St (Rice University)
Fondren Library, Office 531,
Houston, TX 77005